Saturday, February 19, 2011

105 degrees

          For the last week or so my wife has been on a special diet to help out with her stomach problems. Her diet consists or organic food, no red meat, and nothing acidic. This obviously limits the options to choose from, luckily I found a gem of a restaurant in OKC called 105 degrees. The concept of 105 degrees is living food. The food is raw and minimally processed with nothing on the menu being cooked higher then 105 degrees. This concept is perfect for my wife's diet.
          The decor of the restaurant is very modern and it reminded me of the many bistro style restaurants in California. One of the first thing that pops out is the very elaborate juice bar where a normal bar would be. Another feature of the restaurant that stands out is the cooking academy located inside the restaurant. 105 degrees also serves as a culinary academy teaching chefs the skill of the living food concept.
         With the snow finally melting and spring arriving we decided to sit on the patio and enjoy the nice weather. It was around 3 pm and the patio was empty except for what appeared to be a manger/owner who was doing work on his laptop on one of the tables. One of the only complaints of our lunch experience was when the manager decided to take a call on his speaker phone that lasted around 15 minutes. I find it very rude for a customer to talk on a phone during lunch, but for a manager to take a call on a speaker phone is ridiculous. This one careless mistake almost ruined our dining experience.
           To begin our meal we started with an appetizer and ordered the "Mezze" which consisted of Hummus, Hemp Seed Tabbouleh, Falafel, and Citrus Marinated Olives. I especially enjoyed the Kale Chips that were provided for dipping. For entree's I ordered the open-faced Portobello Slider prepared 3 ways, Avocado, Barbecue, and Blue Cheese. The flavor in this dish was fantastic, my only complaint was that the "bun" was made out of some kind of hard grain that I was unable to cut through with a knife. My wife ordered the Thai Vegetable Wrap which consisted of Rice Paper, Kelp Noodles, Mango, Sprouts, Heirloom Carrots. Her dish was basically a larger version of Thai Spring Rolls but the flavors were excellent in the dish.
           Our server was very knowledgable about the menu but lacked any kind of personality. At one point I asked her which appetizer she liked more the Mezza or the Crushed Avocado. She then told me everything that was in each item but did not give me any kind of opinion or recommendation. I have always found that managers beat menu knowledge into their servers but it takes a lot more then just memorization to describe a dish to a guest. 
            The overall experience of the restaurant was excellent. Even if my wife was not on this limited diet we would very much like to frequent this establishment again. I have always been pro-meat but I was very satisfied with the creativity and use of flavors at 105 degrees.


Rating 8 out of 10
$ 9-12
5820 North Classen Boulevard, Suite 1
Oklahoma City

http://105degrees.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment